Saturday, August 23, 2008

A poem I found when I was sorting papers

Visiting Expert

I suppose you are unaware
of my experience in this field
having completed multiple residencies
first in Oncology,
then switching fields and moving
to Psychiatry and finally specializing
in Geropsych.

My daughter lies in her carseat which
I rock back and forth
until my shoulder feels like that of
a pitcher in the 8th inning…
I think I need a Vicodin,
not that I’d admit that to you.

Dressed down because
I left my white coat
in the rental car, you assume
I’m here to learn from you.

Switch carseat to the other hand

Most of his chart is on paper
but your fingers click on keys that
pull up only the past few months
due to the transition
to paperless charts

I am a visiting expert.
If you knew the right questions
you would ask, and fast!
for I have studied him
over a lifetime.

No comments: